The purpose of the Lay Organization is to organize and train the lay members of the A.M.E. Church, so that each member may utilize, to the maximum, the abilities and skills granted by God, in assisting with the improvement and extension of God’s kingdom, and creating happiness, peace and harmony among its members.
To accomplish this purpose, the following objectives are adopted:
- To instill in the membership of the church a love for, and an appreciation of the history, tradition, and principles of African Methodism.
- To keep forever alive the sacred memory of Richard Allen, our illustrious Founder.
- To advocate respect and loyalty at all times to constituted authority and leadership.
- To encourage the laity to support the total program of the church in the local congregation, in the community, and throughout the Conference and the Connection.
- To encourage, stimulate, and educate the laity of the church in the history development, and organic laws of African Methodism.
- To foster a systematic and regular study of the Book of Discipline of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, and Parliamentary Procedure, to the end that greater knowledge and information may be disseminated among the laity, and with the further purpose of encouraging lay members to participate more largely in the general functioning and supervision of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
- To foster, influence, and support all constructive and progressive legislation for the church that promotes the teachings of Jesus Christ.
- To encourage development, recognition and utilization of the most appropriate operational practices and modem technology in conducting the activities of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
- To promote the spread of personal evangelism through activities designed to prepare lay members for appropriately conveying God’s word.
- To provide training in Christian Stewardship which causes lay members to recognize that the connotation of stewardship addresses more than giving money.
- To increase the circulation of church papers.
- To provide for the orderly and systematic training of lay persons, especially officers, in order that they might more effectively, perform their service assignments.
- To promote activities which will result in harmonious fellowship, for lay persons throughout the Conference and the Connection.
- To help in the support of the A.M.E. Educational Institutions.
- To give financial assistance to the Connectional Lay Economic Development Corporation (CLEDC) in support of Connectional programs.